Today it was confirmed that I will not be competing in the 2015 Paratriathlon World Championships; the first World Championships I will miss in six years. I have a lot of emotion running around at the moment and so I will stick to the facts:
- This year I have won two ITU World Paratriathlon Events (WPEs) and finished second in one;
- I finished third at the European Championships;
- As of today I am ranked third in the World in the women’s PT4 category;
- The ITU has a country quota of two athletes per category for World Championships;
- A third athlete from a country may compete if a discretionary wildcard is granted or athletes withdraw from the event and the next athlete on the waitlist moves to the startlist;
- Of the 12 women on the startlist in the PT4 category for the 2015 World Championships, 10 are yet to beat me in a race;
- The two that have beaten me are both British;
- As the third ranked Brit, I required a wildcard to compete in the World Championships. It was not granted to me;
- As a medal contender, British Triathlon demonstrated its support for me by allowing me to travel to Chicago with the team as a ‘reserve’ in the hope of securing a last minute slot in the event of late withdrawals. This did not happen.
Obviously I am extremely disappointed and frustrated but ultimately I did not perform as I needed to in the necessary events to ensure automatic qualification.
On a more positive note, this race is not a selection event for the Paralympic Games and not competing has absolutely no affect on my quest to qualify next year for ParalympicsGB.
Right now I am taking a much needed holiday. Despite everything I have been through this year, I look back with pride at what I have achieved in, at times, very challenging circumstances. My last race in Detroit was a huge confidence boost and proved to me (and a few others :-)) what I am capable of. That is what I will take with me into the start of my winter training, along with an extra helping of determination to be the very best I can be.
Thank you everyone for your ongoing support, including my sponsors fitnaturally, Dassi, Pace Rehabilitation, Skechers and Zone3. See you all next season.